The Well began as the First Southern Baptist Church of La Habra 1952. Its long and diverse history had seen multiple pastors, staff and buildings. It was marked by growth and decline, swelling to over 700 at one time. By the late 1990s the dwindling church was forced to sell its building. Using money from the proceeds, the congregation began renting a facility in a business park (for $5,000/month!) and renamed themselves the First Southern Baptist Church of North Orange County. Their intention was to grow in size, raise enough money to rebuild and then start over. But their numbers continued to shrink. After awhile, the few remaining faithful started meeting as three groups in three separate homes, each of which was recognized as a church in its own right. We’re still learning what God intended for The Well when He led us to shed our building in 2005 and become a community of house churches. And, we believe we’re called to make partners by sharing that story with other churches and organizations. As we grunt and grind through the pleasures and pitfalls of growth and change, we invite you to follow along, learn with us and join in the conversation about what God is doing.
See ”Our Journey” above for more detail.